We hope this site will help folks get involved with the campaign, start conversations about the issues that are most important to the LGBT community, and build the momentum we need to win in November.
Over the past three years, President Obama and LGBT Americans have worked together to make tremendous progress, including:
- Repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” so that gay men and women can serve openly and honestly in the military
- Passing the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act—adding the words “gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender” to the federal register for the first time in American history
- Declaring the so-called “Defense of Marriage Act” an unconstitutional and unfair burden on America’s LGBT families
- Implementing our first national HIV/AIDS strategy
- Passing the Affordable Care Act, helping to improve access to quality, affordable health care for all Americans and ensure that being a woman is no longer considered a pre-existing condition
This election won’t just be a turning point for the LGBT community—it will determine our country’s values for generations to come. It’s up to all of us to make sure our friends, family, and community know how crucial it is that we defend the progress we’ve made. Together, we can make sure that America continues to be “a country that says, ‘out of many, we are one.’”